We help entrepreneurs get ready to raise capital. This usually consists of some or all of the following services:
- Business plan development
- Financial forecast development
- Pitch deck (investor presentation) preparation
- Strategy development
- Market research and analysis
- Competitor research and analysis
- Financial analysis
- General coaching and advisory services
- Capital formation strategy
Please note that we cannot help our clients raise capital. This is a service that is heavily regulated. In general, only brokers licensed with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) can legally offer this type of service. Please make sure that any “finder” you talk to is properly licensed with the FCA before you hire them.
We take pride in our ability to learn the fundamentals of virtually any industry or technology quickly. Some of the markets we have served include Internet/e-commerce, telecommunications, distance education/e-learning, real estate, financial services, healthcare services, manufacturing, retail, food service, consumer products, media and entertainment, aerospace, artificial intelligence, enterprise software, insurance, energy, and networking. Having said that, we believe that the value we bring to the table is not industry expertise — which you already possess in abundance — but rather an understanding of what investors like to see in a potential opportunity.
No, we are management consultants, not investors.
If you run a business, then it’s probably safe to say yes. In fact, you may require more than one business plan: one for raising capital and one for running your business. The former is a compact, easily digested strategic document that is designed to persuade potential investors to pick up the phone and invite you to their offices for an initial meeting. The latter is a more detailed document serving as a day-to-day roadmap, detailing the tactics supporting your overall strategy. The former needs to be an attractive document that sells; the latter can be a collection of spreadsheets, lists, research summaries, and other documents stuffed in a binder that you refer to and update on a regular basis. We specialize in preparing the capital-raising business plan, but many of the by-products are suitable for use in the operating business plan.
You could easily spend 500 hours or more preparing an investor-grade business plan, financial forecast, and investor presentation, even if you have an MBA. This is time you should probably be spending building your team, product, distribution channels, and customer base. In addition to our expertise in preparing these materials, we offer independent, third-party insights into your business, and may raise questions that you might not have thought to ask.
Balance sheets that balance. Cash flows, income statements, and balance sheets that tie together (you’d be surprised by how many consultants who don’t get the basics right). Fully assumption-driven, so that you can do what-if analyses. Depending on your needs, we can include a lot of very sophisticated feature
In general, we charge a pre-determined fixed fee. The fee is determined by:
- The scope of the project, in terms of the tasks and documents you require help with.
- The sophistication and specific needs of your target audience.
- The quality of your existing materials, including early drafts of business plans, financial forecasts, market research, competitive research, etc. For instance, if you have a recent, comprehensive research report from a major market research firm like Forrester, our effort can be significantly reduced.
- The clarity of your vision for your business model, marketing and distribution strategy, financial plans, etc.
- Your availability and willingness to participate in the preparation of the business plan, financial model, and investor presentation.
- The complexity of your industry and business model.
- The availability of industry information.
- The desired timing relative to our workload. In general, “rush” jobs will carry a substantial premium over projects that can be completed as our schedule permits.
Because of these factors, the fees for a typical project, consisting of the preparation of an investor-grade business plan, financial forecast, and investor presentation, can range from a few thousand pounds to several tens of thousands of pounds. By the way, if you are “price shopping,” you should know that price doesn’t tell the whole story. After all, would you choose one car over another simply because of price? Of course not – there are many dimensions you need to consider.
Only under extraordinary circumstances, and only if you are already generating revenues.
Your initial payment is non-refundable. This is because by the time you have decided to hire us, we have already set aside time to work with you, and we may even have turned away other opportunities in order to provide you with the best possible experience. Subsequent payments are subject to a pro-rated refund if you choose to terminate the project before we have fully earned the subsequent payment. For example, suppose fees for your project are broken into three payments, each covering 20 hours of services. The initial payment covers the first 20 hours, and the second payment covers the next 20 hours. If you change your mind about the project after we have put a total of 30 hours into the project, you would be entitled to a refund for half of the second payment because we will only have earned 10 hours of it.
Gladly. We prefer to use a Mutual NDA so that our own trade secrets can be protected as well.
We are headquartered in London, UK. We rely heavily on the phone, e-mail, and online meeting tools, and have never met half of our clients. If desired, we are available to visit you at your offices for a day or two at a time.
HOW CAN WE
Contact us at the Consulting WP office nearest to you or submit a business inquiry online.